Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Andropause

I'

m pushing the upper limits of middle-age and I find myself a little lost. Yes, we all get a little lost from time to time--I don't want to finish my paper, I don't know what to wear on my date, I can't stay on my diet, blah, blah, blah. But seriously, I can't seem to focus very much these days and find my self procrastinating to no end.

Am I going through some sort of depression? Maybe it's the so-called mid-life crisis? M suggested that it might be menopause. Menopause? Hmmm, isn't that a female thing? The pausing of the mestrual cycle? But M said maybe men get it too. So like an idiot, I google "male menopause". And what do I find? Apparently, it's an actual physical phenomenon. It's also called Andropause and is marked by ;a reduction of the male hormone, testosterone. It's symptoms:

The symptoms of male menopause are similar to the ones women experience and can sometimes be as overwhelming. However, the male menopause does not affect all men, at least not with the same intensity. Approximately 40 % of men between 40 and 60 will experience some degree of lethargy, depression, increased irritability, mood swings, hot flushes, insomnia, decreased libido, weakness, loss of both lean body mass and bone mass (making them susceptible to hip fractures) and difficulty in attaining and sustaining erections (impotence). (From: Andrology)

Lethargy? Depression? Increased irritablility? Mood swings? Difficulty in attaining and sustaining erections?!? Crap! And here I thought it was just an age thing... Well, this is not a medical diagnosis. It is my own interpretation of my condition and isn't worth a hill o' beans. So what do I do to make myself feel better?

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzanga.

Sorta. It's nice to know that most of my subscribers read my site, and having my share of subscribers is nice. Also I just found out that the Onigiriman blogring has hit 50. And just to set the record straight, I did not start the blogring. Even I don't have the cajones to do something that narcissistic. It was started by a UCLA kōhai--Thanks girl! And 50 blogring members is not too bad, I suppose, making me feel a bit loved, which alleviates, to a degree, the lethargy, depression, irritability, and mood swings I experience. Now, if it could only take care of that last symptom on the list. *sigh* Oh well, a guy can dream, can't he?

No comments: