Friday, December 05, 2003

Snow, snow snow...

Damn! Is it that time of season already? The last time I remember snow, I had to shovel of heap of it. Seems like a couple of months ago, but its more like ten. You see, this is what happens when you get old; time slips by so quickly. The "sands of time" is wrong, its more liquid and much faster. What did Chomei say? "The flow of the moving water is ceaseless." (Yuku kawa no nagare wa taezushite... for all my bungo students, former and future.)

Anyway, in spite of the snow, the day was rather pleasant. I went to the Geico Drive-In (don't laugh), the insurance branch where they do estimates. I was wary of driving in the snow to a part of town I was unfamiliar with, but Mapquest provided very helpful directions. I got there early and they helped me right away. Al--yes, his real name--did the estimate and produced all the paperwork in about 20 minutes. He handed me a check--made out in my name and the name of the body shop, a Nissan dealer--and told me that all I had to do was pay the deductable. If it cost more to repair, the body shop has instructions to call Geico and they'll take care of the balance. They will also set me up with a rent-a-car while the car is being fixed. So inspite of the name--Geico Drive-In--it was not a two-bit operation. Okay, so some may think I pay a lot of insurance, and I do carry comprehensive with the extras--like the rent-a-car, but still, my insurance is half the next best estimate I was able to find. So the Gecko on the commercial is really corny and the Drive-In system sounds so 50s, it's a pretty damn good operation so far. I have an appointment to take the car in on Monday to the Nissan place where Enterprise will pick me up to get the rent-a-car.

On the way home, I planned to go shopping and wnated to go down highway 50 but missed the turn off. So I went down Lee Highway instead and passed by a Korean grocery I had gone to years earlier. I decided to shop there instead and was happ to find that this store was still as inexpensive as it was back in the day. Gee, I wouldn't have gone there had I taken the other route, and actually this stop saved me more time. Indeed, it was pleasant to have taken the wrong road back.

Now, I'm gonna take a shower. Musubi-chan and I are going to a Christmas party at the house of one of the schools administrators. The snow has me worried as I have never been there before, and a party at the boss's house can be intimidating, but the day has been very pleasant so far, and I see no reason why it shouldn't continue this way. But I will be careful. the roads are still treacherous with the rains, turning into sleet and having them ice over to boot.

La-di-dah, But it has been a nice day. It is so much more nicer to write a pleasant entry that a rant. Hmm... I may have to change my approach.


No comments: