Thursday, August 14, 2003

Carolina Bruins

Last night, the missus said she was thirsty, so we went to Glory Days, a local sports bar chain in the DC area to watch the Redskins play their first preseason game. They were playing Carolina. No Deshaun Foster today, but it was good to see a "live" football game again. The Panther defense is holding its own, shutting down the Redskins, including a relatively short second teamer running around the Panther defensive backfield. At one point, the Redskins' Rob Johnson was ready to score--their first and last opportunity, as it would turn out--throwing a nice pass into the endzone corner, only to be batted away in a brilliant play by #34... man, who is that? Oh geez, it's Ricky Manning... and stopping a former $C Trojie Johnson--does that feel good or what...

Ok, its just a preseason game, and I had come just to get some watching-football-while-drinking-beer practice--you can never practice enough, if you ask me--but this realization got me a little more interested. When the Carolina offense comes on the field, I figure I can relax a bit, not have to scrutinize the large screen so much. So as I suck on my third Yeung Ling, a big Carolina tight end makes a nice 10+ yard catch over the middle... Gawd, that was nice #82, in your Carolina powder blues you kinda remind me of... Oh, crap--almost spilling my fourth Yeung Ling--it IS Mike Seidman... Oh great, now I gotta pay extra attention on both sides of the ball...

Mike makes another 10+ catch--he has 2 for 25 yards--but just as impressive is his blocking. he's helping to keep the linebackers and ends out of the way as the interior line opens up a hole for #42... woah, that was WHICH former Redskins? Skip Hicks? Oops, uh, could I have another beer, I just spilled this one--See? I do need practice...

Panthers/Bruins 20 - Redskins 0

It was a UCLA field day, even without Deshaun Foster. I had fun rooting for our befloved Bruins here in No. VA, despite hissing from the local Redskin contingent... But it was worth it. I'm glad my wife was thirsty. 4 more weeks...

CAN'T WAIT!

Go Bruins!

Tomorrow: unsure....

No comments: