Thursday, October 20, 2005

Five Weird Habits

I'

ve been tagged twice recently... actually, more like last week. I would have written something ealrier but I've been busy with the immigration stuff and then by the work I put off while I was doing the immigration stuff. Okay, bad excuse, but that's okay. It's my excuse, and since this is my blog, I will accept it as valid.

So the first tag was from Taku. I will do Eechim's next, so if you're reading this, don't worry, I didn't forget you...

Five Weird Habits!?!

Do you know how hard this is? I mean think about it. What is a habit?

  1. An established custom
  2. A pattern of behavior acquired through frequent repetition
  3. Excessive use of drugs

All three definitions refer to activies conducted without much thought. That is, they are done automatically, spontaneously, without the actor thinking of what to do, right? So if this is the case, how do I know what my own habits are? If they are things I do without thinking, I may not actually know I'm doing them "habitually." It is just a part of my routine and they are not "weird" for if I thought they were weird, I would be thinking about them, no? Okay, sorry. I think my argument is turning circular...

In any event, in order to complete this task, I have asked others what "habits" I have and I was rather embarrased to find out what they are, and I am hard pressed to share them here with you. But share them I will, because if I didn't, then I wouldn't be The O-man. Hahhahaahha. Stop rolling your eyes.

So here goes, in no particular order...

  1. I fall asleep immediately after a full meal in front of the TV.
    Not necessarily weird? Well, according to M, what makes it fascinating is that I will be lying on my right side, with my right arm propped up on its elbow and my head resting in the palm of my right hand. I will sometimes sway forward or backward, but I will right myself and continue sleeping. My balance is so good that I can even do this on a workout bench--you know, the padded bench for chest presses. I'll be horizontal on the bench and be fast asleep in front of the TV relaxing after a round of weight lifting. M is quite impressed. Me? I didn't know it was a big deal. In fact, I don't even know I'm sleeping in such a precarious position until I wake up.
  2. I don't shower when I don't leave the house.
    Eeeeyoooou. Yes, I can hear you. I suppose this is a product of having lived alone for a few years, but when I'm at home alone, I will wake up, watch TV, eat a meal, do some work, whatever. I will go through the whole day without even thinking about taking a shower. And since the odor that I undoubtedly emanate develops slowly, my olfactory senses grow accustomed to the smell before I realize that something is afoul. I must admit, however, that by the third day--EEEEEEYOOOOOU!--I "feel" like I should shower... M really hates this, as you might imagine.
  3. I eat one thing at a time.
    When I eat a meal, I don't eat a little of this and then a little of that. If I start eating the salad, I will eat it until I'm finished. If I start on the soup, I will finish the soup before I start eating anything else. I come from a modest background so we weren't served meals in courses, so I don't know where I picked up this habit. But at a restaurant, I'm pretty okay, since salads and soups come at different times, but when the main course comes, I will usually eat one thing at a time. I will eat all the vegetables first, often each vegetable separately (unless it's a salad). If I start the baked potato, I will eat it until it's gone, then work on the broccoli, which I will finish before moving to the steamed carrots. Actually, I will eat the potato last, because it is the most filling. Don't want to be full if I haven't started my steak, yet. This too is something M noticed. I had no I dea I was eating like this until she mentioned it.
  4. I don't clip my toe nails, I rip them off.
    It's not as bad as it sounds. I have pretty healthy cuticles but my toe nails are soft for some reason and I can pick at them with my sturdy finger nails and then kinda peel them sideways. M always tells me to use the clippers, but sometimes it's too much trouble get up an retrieve them. I suppose this is not very hygenic, but then its not like I take my shoes of in the Metro and start my weird grooming habits.
  5. In class, I giggle all the time.
    Yes, I even asked a student of mine. I never thought about it, but I guess I laugh a lot. Sometimes I will say something that I think is funny. Often students will just roll their eyes, but I will chuckle nonetheless. Sometimes I will only think of something and chuckle. But rare is the class when I manifest a serious and sober countenance. I mean, how boring would that be? This student said that it was okay that I giggled because the students don't think I'm so much a freak. Some professors need to be professorial to keep control of the class. Some professor love to be buddy-buddy with the students but end up losing control of the class. I, apparently, can be both: professorial while keeping the students at ease. Maybe it's the giggles. Who knows?

I can't believe I'm displaying myself in all my weirdness... Oops, oh yeah, I'm supposed to tag five people, so I will tag the first five people who commented on yesterday's entry:

Your task is to list Five Weird Habits you have and then tag five other people. Be as explicit or modest as you want. It is, afterall, YOUR blog. Go to it, boy and girls.

No comments: