Tuesday, July 12, 2005

War of the Worlds

O

n Sunday, we went to see War of the Worlds with Tom Cruise and Dakota Fanning. I know many will not agree with me, but I thought it was awesome. I read the original so long ago--over 30 years ago--so I'm not well versed in the details, but the descriptions of the alien vehicles and, of course, how they eventually die was pretty much the same.

But that's not why you should see the movie. If you have a bad heart or do not like to get overwhelmed by a movie, then don't go. By the end of the movie, I was exhausted, literally. But that was basically the cool down period anyway. The first 30 minutes or so were incredible. Once the aliens appeared, the onslaught was relentless, one thing after another. It was like being on a roller coaster. I wanna see it again. Personally, I think--and again many will not agree with me--Tom Cruise is underrated as an actor. In this movie, he is superlative as a deadbeat dad who is only sorta discovers his true love for his kids when confronted with the reality that he really has to protect them--not just for a weekend, not just lip service. This time, he has to walk the walk. And Cruise does it quote well. I think his pretty boy status does him in. He is actually pretty good. Dakota Fanning is sorta cute, but she plays a smart mouthed kid, who becomes almost uncontrollably hysterical. But then, aliens are after them, so I guess that would make sense...

Naked Aliens

After the movie, I started my usual ruminating. And I thought, why is that aliens are either very benevolent or incredibly malevolent. And when malevolent, they are incredibly unforgiving. In War of the Worlds, they want to exterminate humans. In Independence Day, they want to, again, exterminate us. In Aliens I through III, again all they want to do is eat us. Why do they want to get rid of us? Why do they need to invade our planet? Why does anyone need to invade? Well, usually they need resources because the powers that be don't have enough to satisfy a growing population. So why are alien populations so large? To the point they have to invade our little planet? Then it struck me.

Why are aliens proliferating? Because they're all naked!

Get any population of humans together and have them all naked and I'd bet that sex would be pretty much on everyone's mind. What makes aliens so different? The aliens in Independence Day wore no discernable clothing--except for their biological body suits when flying aircraft. The aliens attracted to Sigourney Weaver wore no clothes. ET was buck naked, fer cryin' out loud.

Hahaha, I'm only kidding af course. But why is that every alien from outerspace seems to be naked. The only exception, I think, is StarWars, but humans were also aliens in that movie, so they were basically all the same. Aliens who come to Earth (with a capital E), however, seem to be visitors from nudist colonies... I mean nudist planets. Can somebody explain this to me?

#60,000

Thanks to Cgran for being visitor number 60,000. I'd give you a cookie, but I'm plumb out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice