Friday, April 01, 2005

When It Rains, It Pours

I

think I'll shoot myself. To compound all the issues I've been having recently, I just found out that the powers that be are cutting more programs at my school, and guess which language they are cutting? You guessed it. Apparently, the summer classes I will teach this summer are the last ones for us. There are only two full-time faculty, and so I guess they think that we are pretty much expendable.

Our Chairman teaches Korean and so it wouldn't do to cut that language. Chinese has four full-time faculty and so cutting them might cause more trouble than its worth. But Japanese is just right to downsize our department. I have the sneaky suspicion that they want to cut some language because the will eventually combine all languages into one super department--Department of Modern Languages, or something like that. But you can't have too many languages, I suppose.

Time for me to revamp my resume and start looking for other jobs. Anyone need a person who's pretty fluent in Japanese? And does anyone know how effective Monster.com is? Damn!

And here I thought the recent statements by Condeleeza Rice about Japan being at the center of US-East Asia strategy was going to raise our stock. Stupid me... and stupid you--April Fools! Just kidding guys. Hehehehehehehe.

No comments: