Saturday, February 05, 2005

Musically Inclined... NOT

S

ince I was a wee lad, I have loved music. Indeed, M sometimes cannot understand my need to feel the music. By this, I mean to play the music relatively loud and let it flow over me as I close my eyes and rock on. I don't just listen to it, I have to feel it carress my skin, pierce my soul. It could be "All Along the Watchtower" by Hendrix, "I Gotta Line On You" by Spirit, "Fly With the Wind" by McCoy Tyner, "Who Can I Turn To?" by Tony Bennett, "Fly Like an Eagle" by the Marshall Tucker Band, "Renaissance" by Jean Luc Ponty (with Patrice Rushen on Piano) or Beethoven's 6th symphony "Pastoral". Whatever it may be, I want it to envelope me.

There was a time I dreamed of being a rock star. This is surely something every kid in the 70s thought of at one point or another. I self-taught myself piano on a crappy chord organ my mother got with S&H Green Stamps--you'd have to have been around a while to know what I'm talking about. And I even played in a garage band that had "real" gigs at local JA/AA dances and clubs. But for a Japanese American in the 70s, the writing was already on the wall: No Asian American could ever make it in the business. I suppose I could have played at country club events and weddings for the rest of my life, but I was pretty sure "rock star" was out of the question--name one in ten seconds... Maybe one in a billion. Sometimes I wonder, "Did that billionth of a chance go to William Hung?" and I wanna shoot myself...

In the end, I decided to give up what I felt was a futile dream. Of course, I couldn't do what my friends were doing--business, law, accounting, medicine, engineering. I needed to do something that allowed me to stay in touch with the arts, and so I chose J Literature, although I must admit that it was mostly by accident, and certainly more than a few degrees south of a teenager's fantasy...

*sigh*

Anyway, since last year, I've been hankering to do something in music again, so I bought a guitar. Nothing of note, mind you--a Gibson knock off made in Korea--just wanted to play around a bit for my own curiosity. It's been along time since I played anything and I suck, of course. But no one's listening except me...

So the other day, I visited SleepingCutie's site and she had a quiz about What Random Object Represents Your Inner Self? Well, I took the quiz like the Xanga nerd I am and they pegged as...

You are a guitar.
You are a musical genius... congratulations. Most people think you are a little obsessed with music, but that's okay. You don't care what other people think. You are independent, and would rather have a few good (and weird) friends than a lot of not-so-good ones. You may feel that people run down your eccentricity, but that's only because they're jealous. You will most likely become very successful with your musical talent. \m/ Rock on!

Most compatible with: Drumstick.


Click here -- What Random Object Represents Your Inner Self?

Hahahahah. I am keenly aware that these quizzes mean little are nothing, but it was funny that they viewed me as a guitar. But I know that I'll never be successful with my music talent--all two ounces of it. I'll just stick to teaching and writing on Xanga...

No comments: