Friday, January 28, 2005

Senryu Standings 2004

H

ere are the final standings for all subscribers who participated in 2004. The score is based on a 5 point system. 5 for 天 Ten, 4 for 地 Chi, 3 for 人 Jin, 2 for 三客 Sankyaku and 1 for all other participating subscribers.

Now, as you should all know, it is not about the winning. It never is. The purpose of art--and life in general--is to participate. And as participants, you experience something different, making yourself all the more unique and special--even if you are just dabbling. I believe this in my heart. When I went to Japan, I studied at Nihon University. There, I met a professor who researched Edo Period senryu. I told him my father practiced senryu poetry and that even I had tried my hand in it. He looked at me and said in a tone that I suppose he meant to be polite, "I don't really read amateur poetry." My pride was not so much hurt as I was disturbed by this attitude. Isn't particpating in any fashion the first step to learning? And even if you don't make it your life's work, did you not at least learn something new, and maybe something about yourself? And that alone has value?

I swore that I would never be that kind of teacher. I enjoy sharing my experience--what I know, what I have learned--with my students, hoping the assignments I give them, the readings they do, the projects they are "forced" to do, will expand their horizons even a little, making them more open, more experienced, more accepting and ultimately better people. I want them to enter my world, even if for a taste, in the hopes that they too will grow into adults who will be willing to let others into their own worlds. No judgments, no discrimination.

And this is why I hold these "salons", modest as they are. I want you to taste a little bit of my world, and I hope to share in what you have to offer.

Anyway, here is a list of scores of all participants this year, led by SunJun and msbLiss. Tomorrow, I will talk a little bit about their poetry.

namemayjunejulyaugseptdectotal
SunJun21155216
msbLiSs21542115
SammyStorm14july32dec10
imahima 41 121dec9
XanthochromeSummay511119
whonosemay2july1159
RachelsMommymayjunejuly2439
bane_vixen1121sept27
tim0051julyaugseptdec6
SleepingCutiemay2211dec6
pallyatheart131augseptdec5
detachable 21julyaugsept25
LaMangust mayjune31sept15
AznQuartermayjunejulyaug145
onigirimayjune113dec5
crotchety_old_man3junejuly1septdec4
SweetLilVmay21aug1dec4
eechimmayjune121dec4
ChiisanaHoshimayjune2aug2dec4
those_daysmayjune4augseptdec4
cgranmayjune111dec3
ddsb2000 11julyaugseptdec2
gt_ninja1junejulyaug1dec2
sputtum1junejulyaugseptdec1
globalguy0071junejulyaugseptdec1
nefarious_hatter1junejulyaugseptdec1
Grommay1julyaugseptdec1
ikertonmay1julyaugseptdec1
silvermyst_ashkemay1julyaugseptdec1
wildkat03may1julyaugseptdec1
zhuzhumayjune1augseptdec1
fooky11mayjune1augseptdec1
No1watchingmayjune1augseptdec1
Simply_Mariemayjune1augseptdec1
ekinmayjunejuly1septdec1
Link_Strife mayjunejuly1septdec1
dawn_1o9mayjunejuly1septdec1
SweetLilVmayjunejuly1septdec1
fyzlemayjunejuly1septdec1
Momo5mayjunejuly1septdec1
sekura81mayjunejuly1septdec1
Fongster8 mayjunejulyaug1dec1
Simply_Lynnemayjunejulyaug1dec1
jcangel311mayjunejulyaug1dec1
silvermyst_ashkemayjunejulyaug1dec1
kizyrmayjunejulyaug1dec1
shiroi_norite mayjunejulyaug1dec1
tinkarrificmayjunejulyaug1dec1
iiSoNySoUnDii mayjunejulyaug1dec1
DaddyLikemayjunejulyaugsept11
Allanwrmayjunejulyaugsept11
HANDI_411mayjunejulyaugsept11
SleepyWalnutmayjunejulyaugsept11
WolferasDreamsmayjunejulyaugsept11
Di_Gah_Jeamayjunejulyaugsept11
SENSEI49mayjunejulyaugsept11
mayjunejulyaugseptdectotal

No comments: