Friday, October 29, 2004

The Daily Show...

I

hope everyone realizes that yesterday's comments were tongue in cheek. I did not mean to dis Canada. I love Canada--even though I've only been there once. It wasn't me, it was President Bush doing the dissing... But I shouldn't make excuses. I was just trying to make a point with a bit sarcasm, a little like Jon Stewart of the Daily Show. Yes, I watch too much TV. Actually, thanks to the presidential election, I'm watching far more TV than I normally would. I don't usually watch politcal talking heads spewing their opinions about this or that. But the record of the current president has gotten me thinkng far more than I would like. So now, I try to get as much information as possible: TV, newspapers, the Internet.

Anyway, I was watching The Daily Show on Comedy Central last night and they showed clips from President Bush's rally today in Michigan. Stewart takes excerpts--many times out of context--and cracks jokes. I realize they are jokes, so I don't usually take hims seriously, even though they are funny. But yesterday's show made some points that piqued my interest so I did a search and found excerpts of Bush's speech on the Internet. At Thursday's rally in Michigan, he made it a point to rebut Kerry's assertion of Bush blew it when he allowed 380 tons of explosives disappear... He accused Kerry of making "wild charges" about the missing explosives and of "denigrating the actions'' of troops in the field.

Hmmm... Well, I don't think Kerry was denigrating the troops. As anyone who has been watching or reading the news and has a modicum of intelligence knows--whether you agree with him or not--Kerry is criticizing the president and not accusing the troops. Bush is trying desperately to deflect criticism targeted at him toward the troops. Now really, how pathetic is that? Besides, Kerry doesn't have to accuse the troops of anything. Bush supporter and all around nice guy, former NY Mayor Giuliani, is doing it for him. In an attempt to criticize Kerry for blaming President Bush for the disappearance of the explosives in Iraq, he said on NBC's Today show--and I quote:

No matter how you try to blame it on the president, the actual responsibility for it really would be for the troops that were there. Did they search carefully enough? Didn't they search carefully enough?

Hahahahahah. What a joke. Can you believe what he said? I think he had a cranial melt down because the Yankees lost four straight the the Red Sox.

Continuing his thought--well, if you could call it thinking--Bush seized on something said by Kerry advisor, Richard C. Holbrooke, who admitted that not all the facts are in on the whereabouts of the missing explosives.

One of his top foreign policy advisors admits he doesn't know the facts. He said, 'I don't know the truth.' End quote. Well, think about that. The senator is denigrating the actions of our troops and commanders in the field without knowing the facts.... This investigation is important and it's ongoing, and a political candidate who jumps to conclusions without knowing the facts is not a person you want as your commander in chief.

Hmmm.... someone who "jumps to conclusions without knowing the facts is not a person you want as your commander in chief." Who jumped to the conclusion that there were WMDs in Iraq without knowing the facts? Who insisted that that there was a link between Hussein and al Qaeda by making faulty assumptions?

Well, Bush is absolutely right, I wouldn't want a commander in chief like that. Would you?

No comments: