Sunday, February 01, 2004

Full Disclosure: What do I really look like?

While I've been milking the Jackie Chan look-alike angle--how pathetic--I should tell you that I currently do not look anything like him. The photo that I previously displayed is about 7 years old, a time when I worked out four days a week, 4 hours at a time, including aerobics, dance and weight lifting. Currently, I run, maybe, twice a week, 30-40 minutes, and lift weights once a week. My exercise regimen has declined mostly because of work, but even more recently because of XANGA! But this is not a very good excuse. Musubi-chan always reminds me that I should not blame others for something I have direct control over... So true. In any case, what ever the reason, I have gained weight at an alarming pace and I truly resemble my Xanga moniker, Onigiriman.

But the triangular rice ball above is not some figment of my imagination, it is a self portrait. Further, it is not a portrait created to reflect my current condition. I first drew this thing over ten years ago after looking at this photo of myself. Yes, that's me in pink frames on my Japanese alien registration card, ca. 1992. I'm not sure if you can tell, but I had to squeeze my shirt collar closed with the necktie since the buton would not longer reach... Prior to going to Japan, I had gained a significant amount of weight, and was hovering around 170 lbs. This is a lot given that I didn't exercise at all back then. Every ounce of bulk had a fat to muscle ratio of about 5 to 1. But enough of this disgusting fat talk. It's so embarrassing, I don't even know why I talk about it... Oh, yeah, its about me... hahahaha.

Anyway, back to the original thought: I looked at this photo and though, "Damn, that looks like an onigiri (riceball) with glasses." And I proceeded to draw my first crude Onigirman, which looked something like this dude on the right. Do you see the resemblance? Well, as you can tell, the rice ball has evolved (devolved?) quite a bit. In any event, I am fast approaching my former self, and seriously need to get back into training. So, farewell my fellow Xangans. I shall return when I am once again my svelte little self...

Take a look at yourself in the mirror and use your imagination. What food product do you most resemble?
PostScript: Oh yeah! Thanks for correcting my spelling, Hanzo! (my first Onigiriman emoticon, omanicon for short, hahahahah. Yeah like I'm REALLY busy...)

No comments: