Sunday, April 23, 2006

I Swear, I'm Normal... Sorta

R

eally. I am not abnormal. I am not some Cleanliness-Is-Next-to-Godliness Nazi trying to sterilize the world (see yesterday's entry). If anyone one of you were to come to my office, you'd notice it is a mess. I have been know to go showerless over the weekend, if I don't leave the house. I'll wear the same clothes from Friday to Sunday, much to M's chagrin... Wait, did I just say I was not abnormal? Okay, maybe I am a little, but not because I'm a clean freak...

All my life, I've lived under non-sterile conditions. I grew up in a time when playing outside in the mud or the local lake or the public sand box was the norm. I remember that we used to wash our pots and dishes with sand when we went camping--as if detergent would pollute the environment but cooking oils and other human food stuffs wouldn't. I practiced the 5 second rule before it became popular. Brush it off if its dry or rinse it with water if its wet, then pop it in the mouth. Although I don't do this anymore, I am not so queasy about most conditions--whether physiologically or mentally.

Sharing food with other is no big deal either. I'm sure many of my Asian brothers and sisters--okay, nephews and nieces--were taught to use the back side of the chopsticks when picking food from a communal plate. Well, not in my family, and even with a lot of my friends in Japan. No need to flip them over--we're all family, y'know? I've shared many a pop bottle and later beer cans with friends without even thinking of wiping it clean. Although I draw the line with those who string out saliva as they pull the drink away from their mouths. I must admit that looks pretty gross, don't you think? But still, when I'm among friends, we are family without a doubt.

But even among family members, there are limits. When I used to change my daughters diapers, I always washed my hands afterwards. If a family member forgot to flush the toilet, they would get dressed down at the dinner table. When preparing food, we must all wash our hands first, and when we prepare chicken or fish, the plastic cutting board always gets a thorough cleaning before any vegetables come in contact with it. It's the unknown foreign bacteria that I am afraid of these days. Salmonella, E coli. Yes, these and whatever other bacteria may be lurking around public restrooms.

So I hope I have convinced some of you that I am not overly anal (no pun intended) about cleanliness, but certain situations must be addressed with cleanliness in mind...

Truth AND Dare

Caz, one of the sites I read, used to play Truth or Dare pretty regularly with her readers. I have participated once or twice, but I was wondering if maybe some of you would like to try some Truth AND Dare. For those of you who sometimes forget--or forgo--flushing the public urinal (I have to believe that you all wash your hands, right?) and think its no big deal, I dare you to admit this to your girlfriend or mother or sister, and report their reactions here or on your own site. Any takers?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Was surprised that you dropped by.:-)) And touched that you took the time from your busy schedule to check up on my blog, and leave comments. Thanks! no wonder you never finish grading those papers! :-)) I have been sneaking in time between the house-guest's siesta moments to catch up on your articles. And though, I missed the truth and dare thing(would have taken you up on it), I will keep an eye out for another one, after May ends. I think i will need time to recuperate once the guests have left. Every Easter break, it rains house guests here on us in Japan. However, it's yet another excuse to party and go on a binge! :-))
I have germ phobias too. And the more I read your articles, the more I find things familiar to myself. I can't help thinking we must be somewhat alike. (Now how many times you must have heard that one!-haha.) Now, if only i manage to discover a strain of your story telling genius in myself, I think i could rest and quit coming to your blog for inspiration, entertainment, some kind of comfort that there is someone who thinks alike, and expresses it a whole lot better than i ever could. *grin*
So, in the meanwhile, I shall continue to peak and learn.
It's 2 AM and i must get to bed, I have hogged enough of your space for now. Thanks again for letting me know you dropped by.