Sunday, April 02, 2006

Don't Get Fooled Today

L

ast year, as a gag, I posted an entry that suggested that our school was downsizing and Japanese was one of the sacrificial lambs on the altar of practicality. Our school had already eliminated the TESL program, Peace Studies and Environmental Studies. With the outsourcing of American jobs, the Iraq war and global warming, what student would need to learn English, conflict resolution and environmental protection?

So getting rid of Japanese sounded, oh, so convincing.

But, man, did I take some flack for that April's Fool prankd! Here is a sample of the responses I got, mostly from MY OWN students.

Rargh! You suck! I was all, "Oh sad...=(," until the very end. Man, I forgot it was April Fool's. Or, I knew, but it wasn't at the front of my mind. aish...
Posted 4/1/2005 at 2:25 PM by enygma81

YOU COMPLETE AND TOTAL ASS!! I HAD A HEART ATTACK!! I AM NEVER GOING TO FORGIVE YOU, YOU JERK!!
Posted 4/1/2005 at 6:14 PM by LaMangust

You're a poopy head
Posted 4/2/2005 at 3:35 AM by shi

I hate you man.(sensei)
Posted 4/2/2005 at 7:52 AM by gt_nin

Shaun still believes it true, he can't grasp the fact that it was an April Fool's prank...he is crying right now.
Posted 4/2/2005 at 1:49 PM by Grom

"TOTAL ASS"? "poopy had"? "I hate you"? As you might imagine, I don't want to be subjected to such violent rhetoric, so I will not even consider writing an April Fool's prank. Instead, as a public service, I remind all of you not get fooled by anyone...

So anyway, this weekend I have plenty of work to do, even though I consciously did not assign any papers for this past week. I needed to make sure that I could relax and watch my beloved Bruins play LSU in the NCAA semifinals...

But nooooooooooooooooo!

I gave a midterm on Thursday and so I should at least make an effort to grade some of it. But I'd rather spend my time on Xanga. Worse, I have to judge the haiku of middle and high school students in the DC metro area. Yes, I had forgotten that I had promised to do so. Well there aren't too many--just SEVENTY of them--so it's okay, I suppose. And it is a pleasure to contribute to the community in any modest fashion.

So I have my work cut out for me and will be unable to enjoy the excitement of the Final Four. I bet that Glory Days is filled to the brim with Mason fans. It's fun to be in that kind of sports environment, where everyone goes bonkers and has a great time rooting for there team. I swear, it is like being in the stadium itself. Indeed, last night, we dropped by GD for a night cap and they were doing preparations for today's crowd. Aaaargh! I wanna go!

But I like to consider myself--whenever appropriate and feasible--a responsible person, so it is back to judging the haiku of 14-year olds...

*sigh*

And if you believe that, you ARE gullible. April Fool's! But then, this in not really a prank, so no harm no foul... In any case, I'll fit in the grading and judging somewhere, but it is now time to get ready for some Final Four partying! Party! Party! Party!

GO BRUINS!

No comments: