Friday, October 28, 2005

Don't TGIF

M

an, this has been one hell of a week. I can't remember the last time I've felt so busy. Of course, I must blame a lot of it on poor time management... as if I should have to worry about such things. Thanks to the immigration interview prep and ultimate fiasco of last week, I had to put off some of my work, which led to the overload this week: extra papers to grade, letters of recommendations, blah, blah, blah... And did I mention my sister dropped into town on Wednesday night? I haven't seen her in quite awhile, so it was nice to talk to her. Not her fault, of course, but I wish the timing was better. I spent time grading instead of talking to her more.

In any event, I have some more work to do, and I will try to finish it off as quickly as possible.

  • Letter of recs--MatsukinSamba, Hanazakari
  • Grading--Readings quiz, Lit papers
  • Program newsletter--*sigh*
  • Midterm prep--Lit, Classical
  • Class prep--Genji teams.

The last item on the list is worrisome. Creating an exam is fine, but that also means I have to grade it. So should I create an exam that is challenging, one that induces, distinguishes, and acknowledges the abilities of my students? Or should I give them an easy exam--multiple choice, fill in the blanks, true/false--one that is easy to grade. Decisions, decisions.

Well, since I love my students, especially the good ones, I will likely create midterms that combine both, although perhaps heavier on the challenging side. Besides, I am a masochist at heart, all evidence to the contrary--my students will point to my daily/weekly quizzes and remind me of my sadistic tendencies...

*sigh*

Don't they realize it's all for them?

So it looks like my weekend is booked. The only down time will be spent watching my Bruin game--we play my other alma mater--and maybe sometime running...

So what are you guys doing this weekend?

No comments: