Friday, April 22, 2005

Weekend Fluff: About me

I seem to have a slight increase in traffic. For new visitors, here's some stuff about me you may want to know--or not... For my regulars, this might be boring stuff. The lovely person I jacked this from is mentioned below.

early o-man1.What does your xanga name mean and how'd you come up with it?
Onigiriman means riceball man. I have been slightly pudgy over the years, and I have always likened my face/head to the triangular shape of a riceball. I drew a picture once--a triangle with a pair of sunglasses, and Onigiriman was born. (Yes, this is the original sketch!)

2. Elaborate on your profile pic.
Well, my current profile pic is a shot of me in Hachioji, Tokyo during the Hachioji Summer Festival. I am, as everyone else does at Matsuri, drinking beer. As far as the O-man icon is concerned, I drew it on a paint program on my computer. I think its a bit more refined than the original, primitive O-man in number 1, no?

3. Who introduced xanga to you?
mr_mephisto. She is a former student of mine. When she went to Japan to teach English, she told me about Xanga, that it would be her way of communicating with everyone, and she talked me into signing up. So you can blame her... I swear she has the cutest eyes.

4. How many friends do you have?
Last time I talked about this, I got lambasted by lamangust. But I will say it again. I have very few "good" friends. Maybe five in all. Max. But these are the five who I know would lay their life out for me, as I would for them. Very few people like that...

5. What's your current status?
Alive, barely. Busy, always. Divorced, re-married, one daughter, three stepsons, three grandsons.

6. What are you wearing right now?
Burgundy t-shirt, plaid louging pants.

7. What is life to you?
Lately, it's been about survival. With all the shit that's been going on with the INS and overworking, life is all about making it to the next day healthy and sane. But otherwise, life is about balance: giving and receiving, loving and being loved, and doing anything and everything with the greatest effort I can put forth.

8. What are you doing now?
Writing on Xanga... Oh, you mean in general? I teach J language and lit at a university in DC.

9. What do you hate most?
Jealousy, uncalled for suspicion, and a dearth of respect for others.

10. What do you love most?
In no particular order: College football--especially my Bruins--cooking, eating, beer, Xanga.

11. What makes you happy?
Finding a bunch of comments on my Xanga entry, conducting a lively and fulfilling class, making M laugh.

12. Are you musically inclined?
I used to think so, but RachelsMommy would probably disagree on principle.

13. What would you do if you woke up one morning and found that the person you love most doesn't exist?
I would die if M did not exist... then I'd go drinking or to a movie.

14. If you could go back in time, and change something, what would it be?
Probably not much. I've had my ups and downs like everyone else, but it is precisely the esperiences I had that make me what I am today, and I am more or less happy with who I am...

15. If you MUST be an animal for ONE day, what will you be?
A cat belonging to a rich person. I'd eat then find a pool of sunlight to sleep in. What a life!

16. Ever had a near death experience?
Sorta. I once slipped on a train platform and my leg got caught between the train and the platform. Fortunately, I was able to pull my leg out before the train decided to leave the station, or I'd have had at least one less leg.

17. Name ONE obvious quality you have.
A loud, easily recognizable laugh. Once I was watching a Tora-san movie in LA and was laughing out loud as usual. When the movie ended and the hous lights went on, someone fifteen rows in front of me stood up, looked back and yelled, "Hey, O-man, where you sitting? We all heard you laughing!" It was a friend from I hadn't seen in a while. How embarrassing!

18. What's the name of the song that's stuck in your head right now?


Rasberry Pie by the Nakanomori Band. Damn, this song has occupied my mind and taken control of it for the past week. It's a light pop song with a melody that clings to you like a commercial jingle. Listen to it at your own risk. Thanks Taku.

19. Are you happy today?
As a rule of thumb, I try to be happy everyday.

20. Who will cut and paste this first?
I wouldn't speculate.

21. Are you a pirate?
I plead the 5th.

22. Who did you jack this from?
justbeingV bless her soul...

No comments: