Saturday, September 25, 2004

TV Time

Special thanks...

... to aznquarter and Jason for Bookmarking me at RBJ. I've added you to my RBJ Tomodachi list above on the comment page and in the left column on the main page... as if that meant anything, hahahahaha! But thanx to these two I find myself keeping pace with SleepingCutie on the RBJ Top 40. Man, the O-girl is one popular chick! She just skyrocketed up the list, caught me, tweaked my ass, and passed me in the blink of an eye. But I suppose that should not be surprising. A close-to-fifty geezer should know better than to compare himself with a young, nubile, Asian chick.

Anyway, if you have an RBJ account, let me know so I can Bookmark you as well. And, um, if any of you guys have an RBJ account and want to bookmark me, please feel free to, er, do so? Heheheehhehe. m(_ v _)m

Anyway, my post. Today is Saturday and I should be watching College Football--and I will, of course--but my baby Bruins have a bye week and are hopefully taking care of their injuries to prepare themselves for the meat of the Pac-10 schedule. While I will monitor some of the games today, I will be doing mostly work--grading hell!--with an occasional break for...

A

h, the weekend. The time to relax and unwind after a stressful week... NOT! I always have too much work. There are simply not enough hours in a day and days in a week. But it is the time that I get to watch TV. I give myself a few hours to watch all the programs I recorded over the week, since I don't have the time to watch them normally. I recorded "Lost" and "Law and Order". I thought I had set the VCR to record "CSI", but I screwed up somhow and missed the season premiere. Aaargh! I meant to record CSY: NYC as well, but forgot. Did anyone see it? Anyone got an opinion?

Actually, I snuck in a viewing of "Law and Order" already. It was the season premiere and I just couldn't wait. This meant that I had to grade quizzes on the train to school on Thursday, but no matter. I'm sure everyone got the same grade no matter where I graded them, right? Hehehehe. I had to see what they'd do with Dennis Farina. But it was not a big deal. In fact, he doesn't seem to fit the part. I get a sense that the end of Law and Order is drawing near...

Oh yeah, another show that should be starting soon is Enterprise--it hasn't started yet, has it? Anyway, I have the hots for T'pal, played by Jolene Blalock... Man, I can't watch Enterprise with M anymore because I'm afraid she'll see me stare a little bit too hard, drool just a little bit too much. She gets so jealous over the silliest things... okay, maybe it's not so silly...

Todays Japanese word

Okay, here's the next word for you guys: sukebe (skeh-beh) na-adj. Yesterday, I referred to this terms as meaning perverted. But strictly speaking it means lewd, lascivious or... uh, perverted. I'm not sure about current TV standards, but this word used to be censored back in my day, much like the word "horny" was in the US, so I've always viewed these two words as close equivalents. In Japanese, the word is seen as a synonym for iyarashii, an i-adjective (iyarashii, iyasahikunai, iyarashikatta). It also means disagreeable, offensive, nasty, disgusting, i.e. something that evokes a strong sense of unpleasantness. As such, men use the term sukebe in other contexts. For example, when someone places an extraordinarily high bet in a poker game in the hopes that everyone will fold, the person who doesn't fold, who calls the bet--or the bluff--can be referred to as sukebe, even though there is no sexual connotation. As for pronunciation, be sure to avoid the dipthong that most non-natives apply to words ending in "e". The pronunciation is skeh-beh, not skeh-bay. It would be like pronounding the name Fred, without the "d"; don't pronounce it "fray". Also, this is a term used exclusively by men. While women use it, they use rarely with really really close friends (neer in public), and only to mock someone or as an extreme insult. Many non-natives (read: Americans) reared in free speech often use words such as this in Japanese carelessly, perhaps thinking they are impervious to its effects in Japan. While most will laugh with the person using it, they will also likely think how unrefined and vulgar the woman is. It is much like the Japanese using the word "fuck" or giving the finger indiscriminantly, thinking that they too are impervious to criticism as they are not Americans. I don't want any of you to be viewed as idiots, so please use the word wisely. I explain it here, not so much for you to use, but to recognize it when you hear it. That, too, is an important part of language learning.

Of course, I used it yesterday because anyone who wants to read stupid dirty jokes are lewd, lascivious, and perverted. Hehehhehe. I wonder what that make me, the person telling it? Oh, yeah, RachelsMommy seems to know...

"You are one sick mo'fo...haha."

Can I take that as a compliment?

No comments: