Sunday, April 11, 2004

Developing Skills thru Xanga

Check out the Comment of the Day from onigiri. No, we are not related... But it kinda made me happy. I think that in person, I can be a pretty persuasive person. I can talk to people and make them feel at ease, or motivated, or encouraged, or whatever. I have had students tell me that I should be a football coach, just because of my motivational skills. Not to sound too immodest, I don't disagree... hehehehe. Just kidding. I'm always looking for a pat on the back. But anyway, what Onigiri said pleased me because I always strive to convey in text what I convey when I speak. And if he feels that way, then maybe... just maybe, I am approaching my goal. And, in a way, I have you guys to thank. Now before you laugh, hear me out... I don't read Stephen King anymore; indeed, I haven't read anything by him in over 20 years! Writings on Xang--or perhaps, more specifically readings on Xanga--has widened my views and ideas on style, and has influenced me in ways that are too many to list in a coherent way. Beautiful prose--like that by ifso--has inspired me to take my writing more seriously, and concentrate on style and expression. Certainly, wits like SammyStorm and the former Hamamoto remind me to keep a light attitude. And sarcastic wits like Bane_vixen remind me that life has to be more than mere fluff. There are budding artists as well. The photography of Nefarious and detachable tell visual stories that display the beauty and impact of text and images, and artists like ddsb2000 urge me to dig for even a smidgeon of latent artistic sensibility within myself... although I must admit I have been getting discouraged lately...

But perhaps the most important thing I have learned on Xanga is that I must be honest with myself. If I were to try to write something "fictitious", something that didn't represent a part of me in one form or another, it would ring hollow. I learned this from the many sites written by those who talk about their daily lives, such as mmh, simply_marie, takunishi79, Paiky, BarbEric_Bojo and the hattori brothers. But among all these sites, I have to confess a love for the O-girl (OG). If you read her site regularly, you know who I'm talking about. Her site is fresh and crisp and incredibly honest--a perfect fit for the O-man (yeah, right, in my dreams! hahahahaha...) and I have to admit that hers is a site that I have to visit everyday... Of course, to this "ordinary" girl, I am just another of the literally hundreds of readers that visit her site daily, making O-man stand for "Ordinaryman", I guess.

Be that as it may, I will continue to read all of your sites--certainly including those I didn't mentioned--and hope to expand my horizon and writing skills. I just love to write... just in case you haven't notice yet. Hehehehe...

No comments: