Wednesday, November 26, 2003

-7-
Where's Sis...
... hoping to connect...
I wake up at 7:30 to call my sister. I call her house, but she's long gone. I try her cell, but its turned off: It automatically connects to her answering service. I think she's pretty much like me. We don't consider ourselves anti-social, but we treasure our privacy. I certainly feel that way. I am fairly open and honest and outgoing... when placed in a social situation, but in most cases I stick to myself, my family. I have my phone set to ring twice before it rolls over to the answering machine, giving me the opportunity screen my callers. My colleagues at work find this irritating: my boss usually begins with, "Onigiriman, will you pick up?!?" Haha... If I'm not in the mood, I will not. If you wanna talk to me about work, talk to me at work. If she leaves me a message saying, "It's important, call me back," she will never get a call back from me. If it's that important leave a message.

This is one of the reasons why I don't own a cell phone. I don't want to be contacted on my own private time, so if I have it turned off except when I'm at work, why should I carry one in the first place? If I leave it on, I'm not going to answer it anyway, because a cell phone is like a leash. "Where are you Onigiriman? I can contact you anytime!" No thanks. People who know me know how to get a hold of me.

But as I said, I am not anti-social in a social setting. Indeed, I am more than social in the appropriate setting. When students come to my office, I am always willing... no, eager to chat about anything: readings, exams, jobs, love, songs from the 60s, anything. I once helped a student compose a love poem in Japanese so he could put it into the school newspaper on Valentine's Day after he had a mjor arguement with her. Am I accessible or what? Haha, sorry, don't mean to keep tooting my own horn. (Why does that expression always strike me as perverted? Ah, only in the perverted mind can simple objects be turned into... other things.)

Anyway, my sister is supposed to arrive today, and I just wanted to confirm her arrival, but couldn't contact her. Oh well, she'll be fine. She's the kind of person who does things by herself because she can take care of herself. We have not been on the best of terms for the past 6-7 years since I got divorced--she got along very well with my ex. And she has all but accused my current wife as the reason for the divorce. But that's a story for a later time. For now, she is slowly accepting my current arrangement and is willing to come for Thanksgiving--two consecutive years. There are reasons for this as well, but are too sad to talk about here. Suffice it to say that I'm thankful that she is coming and we can spend the holiday together...

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! And don't be like me and eat too much!


No comments: