Monday, October 27, 2003

Bruins Win

My beloved Bruins beat Arizona State University 20-13. It wasn't a spectacular win like the one over the University of Washington, but it was solid. Defense played well and the offense led by Matt Moore was adequate. The story of the game was Maurice Drew. Man, can that guy motor! He ran for the 178 yards, 83 of them on one run that showecased his speed. The line opened up a hole between left tackle and left guard, Mo hit it, and the ASU defense couldn't catch him. At the end, you could see him pulling away from his pursuers. Amazing. I don't think anyone else on the Bruin team has that kind of speed. His TD was the difference in the game. On a down note, Drew was playing more minutes because Manny White, the 6'3" 230 lbs. grind-it-out tail/full back, fracture his scapula and is out for the season. Leisle, playing with a bruised clavicle, sprained his ankle during the second defensive series of the game is out indefinitiely. So it was a costly win. Next week we play my other alma mater--Stanford at Stanford. If they played like they did tonight, they should win.... Of course, they were supposed to win over U. of Arizona, so there is no room for over-confiidence. No team can be taken for granted. Ask 'SC after they played Cal. Ha!

Time flies: I read Paiky's recent blog--his topics always give me things to think/talk about, thanks Dude!--and it made me think about those indications of getting older. He listed a number, such as creaking bones, aches and pains, etc. For me, the most telling sign of getting old is how fast time flies. I'm sure everyone here feels the same as I do. When we were 5 years old, how long did it take for Christmas to come? I remember thinking the it was STILL Thanksgiving and Christmas was NEVER gonna come. Can you imagine? For those up us with a variety of responsibilities--school, finals, papers, children, spouse, rent, work--Christmas probably comes sooner that you want. Geez, I start thinking about Christmas presents on the 4th of July! The point of this, of course, is that there is no time to do everything. I wish I had 36 hours a day to do the things I need to accomplish on a daily basis. And that is the bottom line, I guess. We have little time to waste--like reading/writing Xanga--with all our other responsibilities. The world has become too busy and too much on edge. Ah, for a simpler life. But then, simpler would probably mean no Internet (and no e-mail), no cell phones (read: leashes), no automobiles (clean the air), no CD/DVDs (uh-oh, wait a minute), no TV to watch football *gasp*... Oh well, I guess we are all distinctly bound to this world.

Of course, getting older is not all negative.... More later.


No comments: