Sunday, September 21, 2003

UCLA Crushed

Musubi-chan is the best. I live and breathe UCLA football. We are not the best team in the nation. Crap, we're not even in the top 25 or maybe even top 50. But I love 'em anyway. I've been rooting for them since I was a wee lad. Well, today Oklahoma, the number ONE team in the nation, a team in a part of the country that probably has little else than Oklahoma football, handed UCLA its ass. 59-24. There were some bright spots--only a true fan could see anything good in this debacle--but the final score is ultimately the bottom line. *sigh* Anyway, Musubi-chan understands my love for this team and will stand by me all the time. Sure I'm just watching on TV, but she could have easily gone to another part of the house and done something else: laundry, get ready for dinner, read a book, write a letter, anything. But she stayed with me until the bitter end--as a die hard fan, I will watch until the end, as ugly as it may get... Anyway, UCLA lost, but I can savor a moral victory knowing that Musubi-chan will always stick with me. This will likely sound rediculously insipid to many out there--Seriously, who the hell would stay to watch a losing team in a game for which you have little interest in the first place? Ah, that's what separates Musubi-chan from the other women I have met. If she will stay by me through the thin--a stupid football game--then she will certainly stick with me through the thick. Now that's something to feel good about.

*HURRICANE ISABEL UPDATES*
Saturday:
Well, the storm had passed us. Just some light rain here and there today (Friday). But the winds had screwed up something, so I had no internet access until now. Went shopping today and it was a little scary since most people don't know how to drive when there is a power outage. As far as I know, when a signal is out, all drivers must treat it as a four-way stop, no? If anyone knows different, tell me. I stopped and got the finger from one driver, I also saw near misses a couple of times. I decided to take a circuitous route home with the fewest number of traffice lights.

Today, my beloved bbruins play the number one team in the nation, the Sooners of the University of Oklahoma... I don't have too much hope for our team, I mean I love them, but this is a tough team. They aren't number one for nothing... All I ask is for the team to play hard and don't give up at all. There is a lot of speculation that the new coach Karl Dorrell and company have been sandbagging it, so they can surprise Oklahoma, but even if this were true, this will still be a tough game. I will keep an hopeful but realistic attitude. Let's see now, I have the beer ready, my favorite chair, chips, remote control, VCR is set. Yeah, I'm ready... Go Bruins!

: Redundant Question :
Dizzo: What is BUNGO?????????
Ok, ok. Despite the fact that Masahiro and I answered your question a couple of days ago (re: Monday Sept. 15 comments), I will write it here again: Bungo 文語 is literary Japanese. It is the Japanese used in classical texts but was used extensively in written Japanese until WWII. To read govt. documents, you need bungo. To read newpapers and journals pre-WWII, you need bungo. Any serious Japanologist needs to master this if he intends to do serious research.

No comments: