Tuesday, September 16, 2003

Its My Xanga and I'll cry if I want to...

Hehe, not really... It's Monday night and the another week in the life of a Japanese instructor continues. Class was so-so today. Tomorrow is more Bungo and Advanced Modern. They have to read the story High Heel by Murakami Haruki and one of my students told me that she reread the translation I posted over the summer. [*EDIT* Oops, my BAD, Hanazakari said she told me first, THEN RE-read it... is there a difference?] Gulp! I forgot. Oh well, gotta leave it up now. If one saw it, I have to let all of them see it... Whadda idiot I am...

Sleetse (sleazy): his latest post attempts to put a finger on why Japanese people love whites. If you got an opinion, tell him. He likes to get a lotta hits. In any event, I'm not sure I completely agree with the premise to begin with. Do Js love whites? Hmm... Well, one thing is pretty clear--except to the Japanese, of course: they see themselves as the West in the East, the hakujin (white folk) of Asia. Have you ever seen the movie, World Apartment Horror? Its by the guy who created Akira. In it, a chinpira (thug) is charged by his Yakuza boss to try and move a bunch of Asians out of an apartment so they can build a new builiding. The Asians--4 Chinese (Mahjong group), Taiwanese, Filipino and and a Bangladeshese--refuse. He tries making loud music, but the others simply start joining in the singing karaoke style. He uses an insect repellent bomb to smoke them ou: no good. The Asians are bewildered:

"Why are you trying to chase us out? Aren't we all Asians?"

"Wrong." says the Chinpira "Nipponjin are not Asians..." then in a low voice, "We're hakujin."

Hahaha! Great flick. But when I show this to Japanese, they get all indignant. "This is not us!" Yeah, right.


No comments: