Monday, September 01, 2003

Happy Labor Day

September is here and summer is officially over... sooooo, lets change the song again.

I have no idea what to do for school. I feel totally unprepared for the new academic year... Hopefully, my new kids will provide me with something... Actually, when I think about it, its kind of exciting to be meeting new students, although I think I know about half of them already...

: Sports: College vs. Pro:
Sorry ladies, more sports: Like Takunishi79 said, college ball over pro anytime! There is just too much happening with professional sports that I find unpleasant. The bottom line is money... Always money. There was a time when a kid could root not only for a team, but for his favorite player on that team. For me it was Sandy Koufax and Lou Johnson and Ron Cey and Happy Hairston and Jack Snow... However, players now rarely stay with one team for very long, ever since the advent of free agency. Of course, this is all about making more money, right? And if a player does stay for a long period, its because they have a lucrative long term contract. They say that they work just as hard as ever, but do they? Can a person with $5 mil a year guarateed regardless of how they perform be motivated to play through pain, or risk of injury as previous players did? OK, Cal Ripkins was sorta like that but really how many are there like him? In any case, for me, if I can only root for a team now, then I will root for UCLA, not only because it's my alma mater, but its the school I've admired since I was a wee little lad.

Speaking of football, CultofDizzo asked this question: While I have never followed it closely, I have also never seen a football game that didn't thoroughly entertain me. I would wonder what Onigiriman's thoughts were on why American Football is not so popular world-wide....
This is a tough question and really deserves its own entry. I will respond to this tomorrow. If ANYBODY wants to chime in, please do so! I'm sure the opinions are diverse...

For the rest of the day, I BBQ...

No comments: