Monday, August 04, 2003

Top Ten Japanese Eats--Response:

Amazing... You talk about food and everyone chimes in... which is always a good thing.


To Masumi: The umeboshi at Umehachi is Kishu ume. But its the preparation, man. I swear, everyone who reads me and likes umeboshi has got to try this at least once in their life. It really is good. She also asked if I like tofu, and the answer is an unqualified yes! I eat tofu all the time, and pretty decent tofu is available here, so its nothing that I really crave for when I go to Japan. I eat it cold (yakko), hot (yudofu), fried (age-dashi), and as well as prepared in other dishes. I make a mean butadofu (pork and tofu), but my specialty is tofu pomodoro: tofu cooked on a grittle then covered in sauce of fresh tomato, mushroom, onions and parsley, topped with fresh basil when served. Mmmmm. It's kinda like Giappone nuovo. I got the recipe from Taiyo Sankan, soccer crazy pub in Hachioji. I told the master that I was returning to the US and would never have the chance to eat his tofu again, and so he gave me the recipe. What a guy!


Some may have wondered why sushi was not on the list. That's easy. First, sushi itself is a broad category, I love madai, but do not eat uni (sea urchin) and hate hoya (sea pineapple--yuck). I also don't particularly crave shell fish. Clams? Better with linguine. Oysters? Fried is best. Crab? I love crab cakes. Ama-ebi? Shrimp is for tempura... Just give me the raw fish. Takunishi79 commented that he ate sanma sashimi yesterday! Your profile says you live in Georgia. Where did you eat the sanma sashimi? In your dreams? If your for real, you should share the love, dude...


And as tak79 and those_days pointed out, Mos Burger is overpriced. And many may not prefer its taste, but I think it's just different enough to make it worth it. But Kai, burger to burger, In'NOut wins hands down (but it doesn't beat Astro Burger). Like I said, I'm probably just weird... Besides, at #1 I figure it was good for a laugh!


Clarification: Yes, gurlekka, I have kids, and yes, dorkus_maximus, they are about your age... BUT, they are about your age EVERY year. They never seem to grow up because when I wrote, "my kids", I meant, "my students" and evey year, they're around 20-22 years old. Year in and year out, it seems like I'm the only one getting older... By the way, I do have a daughter (real one, my own) who is living with her mother in Japan. She's 16. I have one stepson here in DC and two more in Japan, all three from my current marriage: 21-25 in age. AND--are you guys sitting down?--I also have two grandkids in Japan with another coming soon. Yes, Onigiriman is a じっちゃん (grandpa)... although they call me 運転のオジサン (driver), since they only know me as the guy who picks 'em up at the airport...


Pretty busy today: full schedule--son's interview, departmental meeting, class, grading midterms--ugh! But I'll return to the story as soon as possible. I gotta do some research!

No comments: