Friday, June 20, 2003

Skippy

I love UCLA Football. I live and breath UCLA Football. Born and raised in LA, I know nothing but UC-LosAngeles Football. I earned my BA and MA there during the 80's and we went to the Rose Bowl a number of times. On one of those occasions, the quarterback was a back-up named Rick Neuheisel.

Neuheisel--or Skippy, as current Bruins refer to him--went on to be head coach at the University of Colorado and the University of Washington. He enjoyed a degree of success, but he has had a problem with NCAA rules. This includes recruiting infractions, and lately gambling. UW no longer wants him and they decided to can his ass.

This prompted some Sooners at Oklahoma U to fark the above photo. While this suggests that they must really have nothing to do in the Okie State, I freely admit the fark was pretty funny, so I thought I'd share it.

In any case, I hope the Skippy finds employment somewhere. He brought us a lot of joy when he led UCLA to a victory over U of Illinois in the Rose Bowl. But rules are rules, and he's got to take responsibility for his actions, which he doesn't seem to want to do--he's fighting his termination.

Oh well. Just thought I'd add a little levity. My posts to date have been rather dark and sound more like rants and complaints. I think I'll start adding poems that I am translating from the Shinkokinshu and other classical sources. If there are any requests--albeit unlikely--I am willing to listen.

I guess eating onigiri mellows me out a bit.... なんちゃって!!!

No comments: