Tuesday, November 11, 2003

Veterans day

This is a day to honor those who have served in the US military--and that would include my ousin, Andy, who served in the 442 and died in Europe serving a country that felt the need to inter his brothers and parents and relatives and friends. This is truly a sad moment in our history.

Scary Horoscope:
On My MSN, they provide a horoscope that is customized for your birthdate and year. I don't subscribe to astrology, but it has always been fun to read them knowing that most of the "wisdom" can be interpretted for virtually anyone on this planet... but (and you know one was coming), the My MSN horoscope seems to provide advice that is custom made for me. It's kinda eerie sometimes. I know, I know, I can rationalize it easily: the advice is geared to an adult who is close to 50 and uses the interet. The advice is for working with colleagues and/or new ventures appropriate for my age. But still, it seems so right on sometimes. Today's horoscope for a 47 year old Sagittarius, the comments in parenthesis are what I think they refer to

    It isn't because your new projects (improving courses) demand such precision (I retool and revamp courses every year, to improve them so students will learn more) that they are causing you problems, dear Sagittarius. You still have a tendency to think that details impede you from having a global vision (doesn't it?!?) but this is simply not the case. There really is no conflict between the long-term view (getting tenure/promoted) and the short-term needs (teaching solid courses). You just think that the latter gets in the way of the former. (But if I focus on teaching I don't research; no research, no publishing; no publishing, no promotion...) Try thinking of the details that you find so annoying as stepping stones to your larger vision. (like using the bungo class so that it directly relates to my research? Yeah, I've been thinking about that...)
Yikes, this is too scary!!!!!!

No comments: