Thursday, October 06, 2005

I Finished! Barely...

W

ell, I'm finally finished... I think. I sent my stuff to the editor on Saturday night... or was it Sunday morning? The UCLA game started at 10:15 over here on the East Coast and I wached most of the first quarter as I ate dinner, but turned off the TV... I TURNED OFF THE BRUIN GAME! Can you imagine?!? M was REALLY impressed. She gave me a, "This paper must be pretty serious" look... As a university instructor/scholar, I am required to research and publish, although my teaching load offers little time to do this. So when I have the chance, yeah, I gotta be serious.

So, anyway, it's past 11:00 on Saturday night, and I'm supposed to send the paper in by... Saturday. Not that it matters I suppose. She said anytime Saturday and i figure she's going to read it on Sunday, but still. I want the email dated Saturday, so I'm tryng to type as fast as I can, trying to stay focused on the task at hand. But in recesses of my mind, I hear, "Bruins are losing... They must be hearning half time..."

Aaaaaaaaargh!

Alright, already!

Well, I finish at 11:50 PM or so, and write an email, outlining exactly how i repsonded to the issues she raised in her feedback. 1-2-3, attach file, send.

I look at the clock. 12:04 AM. This Cinderella has turned into a pumpkin. Oh well, I send in the paper anyway, rather sad that I couldn't send it in by midnight. I head dowsntairs to turn the TV back on. I'm sure that the way UCLA has been playing, that it should lift my spirits a bit. Third quarter has just started and... and... and... UCLA is losing to lowly Washington 10-0!

Oh, noooooooooooooooooo!

Fortunately, as I squrim and cringe for the next hour or so, the Bruins find it within themselves to score three touchdowns, the last one on the final drive to take the lead for the first time and win 21-17.

Whew. That was a close one. We dodged a bullet. The Bruins barely won and I got my paper in, just barely late. Oh well...

No comments: